Our “care-years” is a time in our lives when we need a combination of support services so we can live as independently as possible. Are you ready?
- I know that my retirement years consist of 2 parts: the well-deserved, relaxing, independent years and the changing health, increased dependency care years…and I have an understanding of the needs of ‘both’ stages…(yes / no)
- I have a good grasp of my financial, legal, and insurance affairs. I feel confident that all my necessary documents are up-to-date and in order…(yes / no)
- I have made my end-of-life wishes known (e.g. written a will and discussed services with a family member)…(yes / no)
- I feel confident that I have a good retirement plan in place because it takes into consideration the financial impact of my changing health needs…(yes / no)
- I know at least one government agency in my community with the responsibility for seniors’ health needs and I am aware of one of the programs offered through that department…(yes / no)
- I know what to look for and how to elder-safe my home (inside and out) in order to reduce potential accidents…(yes / no)
- I understand the medications I am taking and I have asked about many of the possible side effects related to those medications and the signs to watch for……(yes / no)
- I know what to do during health emergencies and I am familiar with some of our local hospital’s special resources for seniors…(yes / no)
- I am aware of some of the subtle signs of dementia to watch for in my family members (e.g. the need for routines)…(yes / no)
- I am aware of the various care-programs in my community (e.g. at-home services, rehabilitation services, nursing services, adult daycare options, assisted living complexes) and know how to request these…(yes / no)
- I understand many of the costs associated with the care-years (e.g. at-home services, therapy costs, medications, cleaning services, special equipment…) and realize that there is now a special insurance policy available to help me cover certain care costs when needed…(yes / no)
- I am confident that there will be ‘few surprises’ for my family to contend with during my senior years because my house is in order…(yes / no)
For more information on our in-home living assistance services please fill out the contact form on our Contact Us page.